Clary sage oil is a natural uterotonic, which means it can cause contractions of the uterus.
It is often used as a natural method to improve the effectiveness of contractions in labour.
It also promotes relaxation during labour as it calms the nervous system and acts as a form of pain relief. It is hormone balancing and encourages the release of birthing hormones in the lead up to labour and birth.
Due to its ability to cause uterine contractions, it may also assist in the birth of the placenta and prevent post-partum haemorrhage (excessive bleeding).
If you are thinking about using clary sage to try to induce labour it is important to be cautious and speak to a health professional about directions for use.
Directions For Use
- Diffuser:Add 6-8 drops of your Clary Sage essential oil to a diffuser.
- Quick fix: A few deep inhalations from the bottle can help when you are at work, in the car or anytime you need a quick break.
- Shower:Add 2-3 drops to the corner of the shower and enjoy the benefits of steam inhalation.
- Bath:Add 2-3 drops in a dispersant such as oil, to the bath to create a relaxing atmosphere while nourishing your skin.
- Topically:Mix 1 drop of chosen essential oil with 5ml carrier oil and apply to wrists, abdomen or back of the neck.
- Hand or foot bath: Add 2 drops of essential oil to a bowl of water and soak hands or feet.
- Compress: Add 2 drops of essential oil to a bowl of water. For treating inflammation or to cool down use cold to room temperature water. For aching tight muscles use warm to hot water. Agitate a face washer in the water, wring out excess moisture and apply washer to the affected area. Repeat two or three times as the compress cools down or warms up.
- Steam Treatment: For face & respiratory, add 2 drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming hot water. Place your face close to the bowl and cover the back of your head and bowl with a towel to trap the aromatic vapours. Caution due to risk of burns or scalding and keep eyes covered during treatment.
Blends well with: Bergamot, Cedarwood, German Chamomile, Frankincense, Neroli, Orange, Sandalwood and Ylang Ylang.
Consideration: Avoid use with those with cancer or tumors.
Botanical name: Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil